The Mombasa Tusks
The Mombasa Tusks are symbolic representations of the entrance into the heart of the town. The Tusk was built to commemorate the visit of Princess Margaret, Queen Elizabeth’s, sister in 1956. Initially made of canvas stretched over wooden frames by the Municipal engineers based on Kilindini road, now Moi Avenue they were later rebuilt in Aruminium and moved to there present position in 1960s. Coincidentally the Tusks also spell the letter “M’ for Mombasa.